Even if you're not one of my students, you can use some of these. In 2013, I resolve to:
1. Think about dance in four dimensions (height, depth, length, and time).
2. Be generous with my plie for take-off and landings.
3. Keep my eyes wide open and my chin lifted when I spot.
4. Eat healthy foods, get plenty of sleep, and rest when injured.
5. Listen to every correction given to every person in class, whether I think it applies to me or not.
6. Accept feedback and criticism graciously and gratefully.
7. Reverse combinations whenever I can.
8. Train at the barre and entertain in the center.
9. Encourage others, especially beginners, and look for the artistry in everyone.
10. Choose one new thing to think about during every pirouette combination - but only one at a time!
11. Ditch the baggy clothes and appreciate the beauty that is my body.
12a. Never assume I can't do something that is new or unusual.
12b. Eliminate the word "Wait!" from my vocabulary and stop automatically raising my hand before a combination is marked with music.
13. Understand that progress can take many forms and as much time as it needs to.
Happy, healthy dancing in the New Year~